Monday, 1 December 2008

MSP Welcomes Holocaust Education Support

Stuart McMillan MSP, (SNP West of Scotland) has today welcomed the news that the Scottish Government has taken action to guarantee the future of Auschwitz visits for Scottish school pupils to learn about the Holocaust.

The Scottish Government has pledged to provide £214,000 to ensure the flights from Scotland continue.

Mr McMillan said;

"I am pleased to hear the Scottish Government is providing funding to ensure Scottish school pupils learn about the Holocaust. I have been to Auschwitz and know that it left a lasting impression on my thinking and its something I was glad to be able to see first hand.

"We must ensure that these issues are treated sensitively and that Scottish school children continue to learn the important lessons from one of history’s darkest moments.

"The previous Labour/Liberal Executive did not provide any financial assistance for these important visits, and it is excellent to see the SNP government take this initiative. I am delighted that their intervention will mean that the visits from Scotland will continue.

"I trust that all those Labour politicians who chose to play politics with this issue will also congratulate the Scottish Government for their action in providing this funding, for the very first time by any Scottish administration."

No comments: