Thursday, 26 February 2009

McMillan Welcomes Commitment by Environment Minister to visit Inverclyde

Stuart McMillan MSP, (SNP West of Scotland) has today welcomed the news that the Minister for Environment, Roseanna Cunningham MSP has accepted his invite to visit Inverclyde to view first hand the areas which flooded in December 2008.

The Minister was responding to a question raised by Mr. McMillan in the Scottish Parliament chamber where he asked what assistance the Scottish Government could provide Inverclyde to tackle flooding.

Mr McMillan said;

"I am delighted the Minister for Environment said she is happy to give the commitment to visit Inverclyde to view first hand the areas which flooded so dramatically at the end of last year.

"She also made it clear that Inverclyde Council do not currently have a flood prevention scheme but it is my understanding that it is due in the coming months. I hope it is before we see any more devastating flooding in Inverclyde which have already been too numerous.

"The Minister also made it clear that the Scottish Government would urge any councils in a similar position to Inverclyde to submit intended plans early on in the term so as to gain full advantage of assistance available.

"I recently met with SEPA and Scottish Water to discuss what could be done to prevent such flooding problems from occurring again in the future. Both meetings allowed me to take the organisations on site visits of where Inverclyde is prone to flood and make them aware of the problem.

"I think it's important the Minister for Environment comes to Inverclyde to see the problems and reassure constituents that the Scottish Government is doing everything in its power to tackle flooding.

"I look forward to greeting the Minister in Inverclyde in the not too distant future".

No comments: