Thursday, 17 September 2009

McMillan Highlights A78 Road Safety Issue In Parliament Speech

Stuart McMillan MSP, (SNP West of Scotland) has today (Thursday), once again, highlighted the issue of road safety on the A78 road network. Mr McMillan made his views clear during a speech in the Scottish Parliament about the Scottish Government's Road Safety Framework.

Mr McMillan said;

"I fully support Scotland’s first Road Safety Framework to 2020 and am delighted that the Scottish Government is implementing an ambitious road casualty reduction target.

"In early 2008 I was contacted by a number of constituents who were concerned about this section of the A78. Since this initial correspondence I undertook a consultation in relation to road safety.

"I had an overwhelming 41% response rate to my consultation on the A78 and have also received 721 responses to my consultation on the Inverkip Power Station, so far.

"What has been clear is that the A78 will struggle to cope with even more vehicles using it at peak times.

"I will continue to fight for road improvements in order to secure a safer future for pedestrians and motorists in the area.

"I think it is also vital to implement the recommendations of the Road Safety Framework where seeking to influence young people’s attitudes to road safety and increasing awareness of the benefits of lower speed driving in relation to health impacts and road safety."

No comments: