Wednesday, 2 December 2009

McMillan Welcomes Inverclyde Alzheimer Support Group to Parliament

Stuart McMillan MSP, (SNP) has today (Wednesday) welcomed Alzheimer Scotland's Inverclyde dementia support group to the Scottish Parliament for a tour of the building and the opportunity to sit in the visitors gallery and watch proceedings.

Mr McMillan invited the group to the Parliament after recently attending the Alzheimer café which meets at Wellpark Mid Kirk. Alongside this, Mr McMillan recently signed the Charter of Rights for People with Dementia and their Carers and gave the opening speech to a Dementia Conference in Inverclyde on 5th June which coincided with Dementia Awareness Week.

Mr McMillan said;

"I was delighted to invite Alzheimer Scotland's Inverclyde dementia support group to the Scottish Parliament building and offer them a tour and to witness the proceedings from the visitors gallery.

"Since my first meeting with the group, in May 2009, I have been able to work closely with the members and was delighted to give the opening speech at the Dementia Conference in Inverclyde on 5th June and to also visit the Alzheimer café at Wellpark Mid Kirk.

"Alongside this, I was proud to sign the Charter of Rights for People with Dementia and their Carers when it came to the Scottish Parliament.

"Therefore, I was more than happy to invite the members to the Parliament and show them around the building as it is their parliament and it's important to give people the opportunity to witness it first-hand.

"I hope the members had an enjoyable visit and I am sure I will continue to work closely with them in the future."

Vaughan Jones, Dementia Support & Development Worker - Inverclyde said;

"The Inverclyde Dementia support group were delighted to have the opportunity to visit the Scottish Parliament and I know the members thoroughly enjoyed their time in Edinburgh.

"We value Stuart's interest and support and look forward to working closely with him in the future."

No comments: