Tuesday, 5 February 2013

McMillan Speaks in High Hedges Debate

Stuart McMillan MSP (SNP, West Scotland) and Member of the Scottish Parliament Local Government Committee has today (Tuesday) spoke in a Scottish Parliament debate on the High Hedges (Scotland) Bill.



During the debate Mr McMillan highlighted the correspondence he has received on this issue from a number of constituents in the West of Scotland region.



Speaking during the debate Mr McMillan said:



“The bill we have before us now has not came about overnight and I welcome its introduction in to the Scottish Parliament.



“I know that the bill, as currently drafted, with the narrow definition of a high hedge, will not solve every issue that confronts MSPs. However, it’s important Scotland legislates on this issue and we begin to address the problem high hedges cause for many constituents throughout the country.



“I was the sole Member who dissented on the definition to be used in the bill. The definition is narrow and focuses on a ‘High Hedge’. Therefore, I want to thank Mark McDonald for agreeing to accept an amendment from myself regarding a review of the legislation within 5 years of commencement of the system.



“In conclusion, once again, I welcome the bill, I welcome Mark McDonald agreeing to the review and I look forward to further scrutiny of the bill at Stage 2.”

No comments: