Stuart McMillan MSP, (SNP West of Scotland) and member of the Scottish Parliament Justice Committee has today (Friday) welcomed the Scottish Government announcement that extra funding is to be made available to speed up community service placements.
Mr McMillan said;
"I welcome this important step taken by the Scottish Government to speed up community service placements. The additional funding of £1 million pounds will allow councils to recruit more staff to improve the delivery of Community Service Orders (CSO's).
"I recently spent the day meeting members of Inverclyde Social Work Services Department who briefed me on their role in implementing community service projects in Inverclyde. Alongside this, I had the opportunity to meet some of the men who were serving their CSO's and the overwhelming issue they raised was the time it took for them to complete their orders.
"Many of the men worked shift patterns which meant they were able to work two or three days in a row to complete their order, however this was not always possible due to a lack of staff provision. This additional funding will go someone to address this problem.
"I believe community service is a vital part of the Criminal Justice system and gives those who have committed offences the opportunity to give something back to the community they have wronged and be responsible for their actions."
Notes:
Release from the Scottish Government:
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2008/10/24095553
No comments:
Post a Comment