Friday, 1 October 2010

McMillan Highlights Council's Lack of Action on Flooding

Stuart McMillan MSP, (SNP) has highlighted, once again, in the Scottish Parliament chamber Inverclyde Council's lack of action over the years to put in place measures to deal with flooding throughout the local authority area.

Mr McMillan raised the issue with the Minister for Environment, Roseanna Cunningham MSP, during a Parliamentary Question Time session.

Mr McMillan said;

"The minister is well aware of my long-standing interest in flooding in Inverclyde.

"I have undertaken a residents survey with constituents in the East End of Greenock, raised numerous Parliamentary Questions and written to Inverclyde Council on many occasions to highlight my constituents concerns about the perceived lack of action to tackle flood problems in Inverclyde.

"It's vital that Inverclyde Council react to the recent floods which affected so many constituents in Inverclyde, particularly at the West Station area, and put in place measures which will alleviate flooding throughout Inverclyde.

"Therefore, I will continue to represent my constituents on this important issue and highlight the flaws in the current administrations policy in dealing with flooding."

Notes;

Scottish Parliament exchange between Stuart McMillan MSP and the Minister for Environment -
Stuart McMillan (West of Scotland) (SNP): The minister is well aware of my long-standing interest in flooding in Inverclyde. Can she provide any guidance to the council's current Labour-Conservative-independent administration that would force it into action, as opposed to the decades of inaction on the part of that administration and previous ones?

Roseanna Cunningham: I am well aware of Stuart McMillan's long-standing interest in the matter and, at his invitation, I visited the area last year to see the difficult problems that were beginning to be experienced. I hope that all local authorities will carefully examine the new duties that they must now comply with. It might be that many local authorities must bring themselves up to speed with regard to their understanding of the implications of the new legislation. It is difficult to see how much more any Government can do. The hammer of legislation is now in place and councils' duties are clear. I hope that no council—Inverclyde included—will wilfully ignore what it is now required to do.

No comments: