Thursday, 27 September 2012

MSP & Councillor Welcome News of Ferry Tendering Process

Stuart McMillan MSP SNP and Gourock ward Councillor Chris McEleny have today (Thursday) welcomed the news from the Scottish Government that tendering for the new Clyde and Hebrides Ferries Services (CHFS) contract will begin in autumn 2014. The new service will be procured as a single contract.

And to ensure a robust and thorough procurement exercise is conducted that will enhance ferry services across the Clyde and Hebrides routes and consideration of adding new routes currently being delivered by local authorities, a new three year interim contract will be put in place with the existing operator, CalMac.

Mr McMillan said;

“I welcome the announcement from the Scottish Government that tendering for the new Clyde and Hebrides Ferries Services (CHFS) contract will begin in autumn 2014 and the new service will be produced as a single contract.

“I know this announcement will be welcomed here in Inverclyde by the many passengers who use the different CalMac ferry routes for business, commuting and leisure trips.

“Therefore, I look forward to hearing further news about the procurement process and the possibilities this may open up for services links to and from Inverclyde.”

Councillor Chris McEleny added;

“I am happy to read the Scottish Governments announcement and in particular that Calmac have been granted a 3 year interim contract. Calmac is a large employer in Gourock that provides many well paid jobs to local people.

“Therefore this is a good news story for both ferry users and those who work for the company."

No comments: