
Stuart McMillan MSP, (SNP West of Scotland) has today (Wednesday) welcomed the Damages (Asbestos-related Conditions) (Scotland) Act 2009 coming in to force in Scotland.
Mr. McMillan said;
"Today marks history in the process of this Act and a great achievement for all those who have campaigned tirelessly for the rights of pleural plaques and asbestos related conditions sufferers to seek compensation.
"Having campaigned on this issue myself since before becoming elected I know the time and effort groups and individuals such as Clydeside Action on Asbestos and Councillor Kenny MacLaren have put in to get where we are today.
"The Scottish Government should also be commended for their action on this following the absurd House of Lords ruling and it is just another example of the SNP working with the interests of the Scottish people in mind at all times.
"I hope this legislation coming in to force in Scotland will allow sufferers some comfort to know they have the right to seek compensation. I also hope other nations within the UK push forward to overrule the House of Lords on this issue.
"I spoke on a number of occasions in the Scottish Parliament on this Bill and Act and have seen the process through to the end.
I am proud of what the Scottish Parliament has achieved in this Act as it is an example of elected representatives using their power to make a real difference to people’s lives".
No comments:
Post a Comment