This Thursday, April 16th, West of Scotland MSP Stuart McMillan will roll up his sleeves and pitch in to help serve refreshments to patients, visitors and staff at the WRVS tea bar in the Inverclyde Royal Hospital (IRH) run by volunteers who have gifted over £70,000 back to the hospital since 2006.
Around 45 volunteers share the task of providing an oasis of calm and sympathy to all comers but the volunteers themselves benefit massively as well. Patricia Kennedy, who has been volunteering for WRVS at IRH for over 10 years, said:
"I have been in and out of the Royal several times as a patient and I was always treated with great kindness. I wanted to give something back to my hospital and the WRVS helped me do that. I’m by myself now but I have met lots of different people and many new friends through WRVS. WRVS was a lifesaver; I’d be lost without my volunteering."
Mr McMillan added:
"I’m delighted to be spending some time helping volunteers at the WRVS tea bar in Inverclyde Royal Hospital. It’s a great opportunity for me, as an MSP, to get out there and speak to patients, visitors and staff while offering a valuable service and supporting a good cause."
WRVS Project Manager at the IRH, Wilma Mooney, said,
"Volunteers are WRVS. People like Patricia are what make us special and volunteering itself isjust so good for people’s well-being. It is obvious Mr McMillan understands that and we’re so grateful for his support. Not many people would be willing to get their hands dirty like this! We’d recommend volunteering to anyone and we’re always ready to welcome new volunteers."
No comments:
Post a Comment