Stuart McMillan MSP, (SNP West of Scotland) has welcomed the news hat Royal Assent was given to the Damages (Asbestos-related Conditions) (Scotland) Act 2009 on 17 April.
In a letter from the Cabinet Secretary for Justice acknowledging Mr. McMillan’s ‘valuable support’ he was informed the legislation has now become part of the statute book.
Mr. McMillan said;
"I am delighted this Act is now official legislation and look forward to the Scottish Government Ministers making a Commencement Order to bring the provisions of the Act fully into force in the near future.
"With the SNP Government in Scotland leading the way with this legislation I am pleased to note the Prime Minister has said a decision from the UK Government will be made on pleural plaques after Easter recess.
"Following the previous absurd House of Lords ruling I am pleased the Prime Minister thinks it is right to look at the issue again in relation to sufferers south of the border.
"I am sure the campaigning done in Scotland on the issue to get to this stage here has prompted this decision and I hope any statement from Westminster is favourable for those who have campaigned relentlessly".
No comments:
Post a Comment