Stuart McMillan MSP, (SNP) has today (Friday) condemned insurance companies Aviva, AXA, RSA and Zurich who are appealing the Court of Sessions ruling of 8 January rejecting their attempt to invalidate the Scottish Parliament's Damages (Asbestos-related Conditions)(Scotland) Act. The insurers see the legislation as "flawed" and are refusing to accept Lord Emslie’s ruling last week.
Mr. McMillan said;
"While I appreciate the reassurances from the ABI that the appeal will not affect the insurance companies’ commitment to pay compensation to people with asbestos-related diseases this further appeal is ridiculous.
"I would encourage the companies involved to work with agencies such Clydeside Action on Asbestos to resolve this issue once and for all.
"The view that the Scottish Parliament’s legislation is flawed is ludicrous and is undermining these companies’ reputation. I can’t believe they are on the side of their clients when they refuse to accept an Act of the Scottish Parliament that stood up to thorough scrutiny and was passed by all parties last year.
"It is time to accept the word of the law in this Act and move on".
No comments:
Post a Comment