Stuart McMillan MSP, (SNP) has today (Thursday) received a response from the Ministry of Defence (MOD) to his letters pertaining to the future of the Royal Navy Buildings in Greenock and plans to dispose of them. In the response letter Kevan Jones MP states, following a recent long term cost modelling exercise… the continued retention of the buildings does not represent the best value for money.
Mr McMillan, firstly, wrote to the MOD on 2nd October 2009 and then again on 14th December 2009 and has now received a response dated 14th January 2010. In the letter Mr McMillan raised a number of questions that he felt needed addressed in regards to the future of the Navy Buildings.
Mr McMillan said;
"I was contacted by constituents about this matter last year and I also met with representatives of the PCS Union in December 09 to discuss the future of the Navy Buildings in Inverclyde.
"During the meeting it was evident that they had many concerns about the future of the building and what it meant for all those who were employed there.
"As the majority of the workers are from the Inverclyde area it is important that we are made aware what the future holds for the building.
"Therefore, the uncertainty surrounding the future of the Navy Buildings is unacceptable and I hope the MOD will do the right thing and save the buildings and secure the future of the employees.
"Alongside the answers I received from the MOD I have also, through my Westminster colleagues, lodged a number of further questions which must be addressed sooner rather than later in-order to determine the budget, expenditure and value of the Navy Buildings."
No comments:
Post a Comment