Monday, 18 January 2010

McMillan Welcomes Health Committee Support for Alcohol Bill

Stuart McMillan MSP, (SNP) has today (Monday) welcomed the news that Inverclyde Council's Health Committee is in support of the Scottish Government's Alcohol etc. (Scotland) Bill and the policy of minimum pricing.

The news came to Mr McMillan in a response letter from Health Committee Convenor Joe McIlwee who said, In Inverclyde we have taken note of the severity of our alcohol related problems for some time and I am pleased to say that our alcohol related deaths have reduced over the past decade. I welcome the Scottish Government's Alcohol Bill and support minimum pricing as one of a raft of measures which will lessen the harmful effect of alcohol misuse on our community.

Commenting Mr McMillan said;

"I am pleased to see Inverclyde Council's Health Committee has come out in support of the measures the Scottish Government is looking to introduce, including minimum pricing, to tackle Scotland's alcohol misuse problem.

"The support for the Scottish Government's proposals on alcohol continues to grow and the argument seems to be winning the day, throughout Scotland, that drastic action must be taken to address the problems this country faces.

"The support of Inverclyde Council's Health Committee comes on the back of further support I received at local level from West Dunbartonshire Council.

"Therefore, It's disappointing, on a national level, that opposition politicians are unable to put aside party differences and support the Scottish Government's proposals, whereas on a local level they are, as demonstrated in the responses I have received from Inverclyde and West Dunbartonshire Councils.

"I hope this will change and opposition politicians will listen to the large opinion of support for the Scottish Government's Alcohol etc. (Scotland) Bill and vote in favour of the measures. We owe it to the people of Scotland to seriously address this problem."

No comments: